Gruyere Potatoes – Food of the Gods
I originally got this recipe from an old Martha Stewart book. I’ve changed a few things, but basically it tastes very similar to the original full of cream and cheese, probably because it’s still full of cream and cheese, maybe even a bit more than the original. It’s my go to side with ham for a Holiday dinner. It’s definitely not low-fat or low anything for that matter, but it is impressive and your guests will love it, I promise.
Try it next time you want to serve a decadent side dish for a special occasion, you won’t be sorry.
- 2½ lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2½ cups heavy cream
- 2 t garlic powder
- 1½ cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 2 T butter
- salt and pepper
- Grease a large casserole with 1 T of butter and sprinkle with the garlic salt
- Place a layer of potatoes in the casserole
- Sprinkle with Gruyere, salt and freshly ground pepper
- Continue layering and sprinkling until you run out of potatoes
- Pour the cream over the top
- Save a bit of Gruyere to sprinkle on the top
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for about an hour and fifteen minutes