I found this recipe for peach and tomato salad on the internet. It was originally from Southern Living so I had to try it because peaches! tomatoes! goat cheese! Southern Living!
It’s as close as you can come to summer in a bowl and I gobbled the entire thing up over the course of one evening with several glasses of rose. Heaven in my kitchen people, I tell you.
I didn’t have any white balsamic so I used a plain old brown one and it was lovely. I was also out of basil, which is incredibly embarrassing to say in July, so I left it off. The package of goat cheese I had was 4 oz instead of 3 so I crumbled the entire thing on the salad and I think it was a happier salad because of it!
I bet it would be better with basil so I left that in even though I left it off! I would highly suggest trying this in it’s original Southern Living version (below) sometime before the tomatoes and peaches are out of season and get mushy and hard respectively!
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 T brown sugar
- 2 T olive oil
- ⅛ t salt
- 1 large fresh peach, peeled and diced
- 1 T chopped fresh basil
- 2 lb sliced heirloom tomatoes
- 3 ounces of goat cheese
- ½ cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- Whisk together balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, brown sugar, olive oil and salt
- Stir in diced peach and fresh basil
- Spoon over sliced tomatoes
- Top with goat cheese and pecans