This venison zucchini soup is a great way to use ground venison or to use up extra zucchini from the garden. It’s got a bright tomato flavor, perfect for a cold day when you want something fresh and healthy.
It’s a very forgiving soup, add some corn if you want to, or more or less zucchini, depending on how many you have around. Adding a few red pepper flakes will spice it up a bit, if that’s your thing.
It’s nice served in a bread bowl, or in a soup bowl with a chunk of bread.
- 1 lb of ground venison (or sheep burger, or ground beef)
- 2 C onion, diced
- 2 T fresh garlic, minced
- 2 large cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 large zucchini, or 4 small, more or less depending on how much you like zucchini
- 3 T chopped parsley
- In a large dutch oven, brown the venison over medium heat
- Add onion and saute for a few minutes until the onion softens
- Add garlic and saute for a minute or two more
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, salt, pepper and parsley
- Bring to a simmer and cook just long enough until the zucchini is tender, about 15 minutes