There are two things in the kitchen I have a morbid fear of – box graters and rolling out cookie dough.
Ina isn’t afraid of those things, so she rolled her dough out and cut it into sweet little hearts.
I was afraid of that, so I just rolled mine into little balls and coated them with sugar. They were still wonderful, even if they weren’t as pretty as Ina’s.Print
- 3/4 C unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 C sugar, plus extra for rolling the dough
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1/4 t salt
- Mix together the butter and 1 C sugar until they are just barely mixed
- Add vanilla and mix another minute
- In a medium bowl sift the flour and salt together
- Add slowly to the butter mixture on low speed until the dough just starts coming together
- Dump onto a flour covered surface and shape into a flat disk
- Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes
- Roll the dough out and cut into shapes or use my method and form it into small balls then roll in raw sugar and flatten slightly with a fork
- Bake at 350 degrees in a preheated oven on an ungreased cookie sheet for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through
II give you, my friends, rich shortbread cookies for the kitchen cowards of the world!
I am joining Ina Fridays this morning – to see what everyone else is bringing to the table, please click on the links below: