There are two things in the kitchen I have a morbid fear of – box graters and rolling out cookie dough. This recipe for shortbread doesn’t involve a box grater but it does involve rolling the dough out.
Ina isn’t afraid of those things, so she rolled her dough out and cut it into sweet little hearts.
I was afraid of that, so I just rolled mine into little balls and coated them with sugar. They were still wonderful, even if they weren’t as pretty as Ina’s.Print
- 3/4 C unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 C sugar, plus extra for rolling the dough
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1/4 t salt
- Mix together the butter and 1 C sugar until they are just barely mixed
- Add vanilla and mix another minute
- In a medium bowl sift the flour and salt together
- Add slowly to the butter mixture on low speed until the dough just starts coming together
- Dump onto a flour covered surface and shape into a flat disk
- Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes
- Roll the dough out and cut into shapes or use my method and form it into small balls then roll in raw sugar and flatten slightly with a fork
- Bake at 350 degrees in a preheated oven on an ungreased cookie sheet for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through
I give you, my friends, rich shortbread cookies for the kitchen cowards of the world!