These are very similar to my ginger cookies, but have a little different texture and a slightly richer taste. They are wonderful! Make some now! I promise you won’t regret it.
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 t baking soda
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- ½ t ground ginger
- ½ t Kosher salt
- ¼ t ground cloves
- ¼ c molasses
- 1 extra large egg
- Melt the vegetable shortening and let it cool
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt
- With an electric mixer, beat the melted shortening, molasses, egg and sugar for about three minutes
- Add the dry ingredients a little at a time, with the mixer running
- Chill for 15 minutes
- Make the dough into little balls and roll in sugar
- Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes
Don’t over bake them! You want them to still be soft in the middle.
Mary Jo, you rock!
Adapted from “Sunday Suppers at Lucques” by Suzanne Goin