This fresh peach slab pie was the hit of the neighborhood barbecue last weekend. Most of the peaches aren’t cooked so it’s the perfect way to showcase the fragrant, oh so sweet ripe peaches of August. By far, my favorite fruit for the simple reason that you can only get these wonders at this time of the year and only for a little while.
This particular pie has a Cointreau Glaze that sets off the peachy flavor and adds a bit more sweetness.Print
Peach Slab Pie with Cointreau Glaze
- 2 C white sugar
- Pastry lined half sheet pan
- 1 C water
- 6 T cornstarch
- 6 T butter
- 3 C fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and mashed
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 2 t Cointreau
- 2 t Vanilla extract
- 6 cups fresh peaches, peeled & sliced
- Prepare pastry for a half sheet pan and line the pan
- Using beans or pie weights, blind bake the pastry
- Mix water, cornstarch, butter, mashed peaches and nutmeg in a large saucepan
- Place over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until clear and thickened
- Add Cointreau and vanilla
- Place peaches on the pastry lined pan
- Pour cooled glaze over the top
- Refrigerate until served
You can omit the Cointreau completely or replace it with Amaretto.
This is pretty easy, the hardest part is slicing the peaches and making the pie dough!
Don’t try to make it with canned or frozen peaches, this is an “August only” kind of pie and you’ll be disappointed if you try and make it in December!