Rice and Beans are traditional on New Year’s Day. I don’t know if they bring you good luck, but really why take a chance when it’s so easy to whip some up in the pressure cooker? This is what I’m planning to make for this New Year.
They are definitely a bit more on the spicy side. I added a few ideas to the recipe to tone down the spiciness if that works better for you. I like them spicy!
Rice and Beans for the New Year
- 1 lb dry red kidney beans
- 3 ham hocks
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped anaheim pepper
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 t pepper
- 2 t dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1 1/2 t dried oregano
- 1 t cayenne pepper – use 1/2 t if you like things a bit less spicy
- 1 T Tabasco – use less if you can’t take the heat!
- 1 lb Andouille Sausage
- 4 1/2 cups cooked rice
- Soak the beans in water overnight
- Drain and add to ham hocks, 12 cups of water, celery, onions, anahem peppers and seasonings in pressure cooker
- Cook on high for 40 minutes, let pressure come down naturally
- Saute sausage until no longer pink in the middle – around 20 minutes
- Add to beans and heat the whole thing up
- Serve with the rice
Adapted from a Paul Prudhomme recipe.
Here’s to good luck in 2018!