This simple summer tomatillo salsa will get your motor running! It’s tangy and fresh tasting, a nice change from tomato based salsas that’s easy to whip up on a Sunday and put on everything from eggs to hamburgers the rest of the week! Roasting and broiling the ingredients make for a slightly sweeter, more mellow salsa.
Simple Summer Salsa
- 6 to 8 medium tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1/2 large onion, cut into pieces
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T sugar
- 1 roasted jalapeno
- Roast the tomatillos under a broiler for five minutes on each side or until slightly blackened
- Scrape into a food processor bowl
- Roast the onion, garlic and jalapeno in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until softened and slightly charred
- Add to the food processor with the peanuts and process until smooth
This is great anywhere you would use salsa, with chips (and cheese), on tacos or chili rellenos or tamales… well, you get the picture!
Adapted from a Ricky Bayless recipe.