It’s a sad sad sad day around here when the tomatoes are gone for the year. Sad, I tell you. So very sad.
What to do when the tomatoes are gone, but the desire for salsa is strong?
I turn to my good friend (not really, but I wish he were so he’d invite me to dinner at that great house of his), Rick Bayless
This is what he does and if it’s good enough for my friend Rick, it’s good enough for me!
- 1 or 2 fresh jalapenos
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- ¼ C fresh cilantro
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- In a skillet, roast the jalapenos and the garlic, turning frequently until the peppers are brown, about 10 minutes
- Let cool until you can handle, then peel, deseed and roughly chop
- Place in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped
- Add the tomatoes and pulse until coarsely pureed
- Stir in the cilantro, lime juice and salt to taste
Serve with warmed tortilla chips and a margarita and pretend it’s August and you are out on your deck, enjoying summer!
Recipe from Rick Bayless