Tomatillo Salsa is one of my all time favorites for this time of year when fresh tomatillos are in the markets and peppers are so bright and crisp. I love this version from Rick Bayless. Roasting the tomatillos works the same way as roasting any vegetable, it sweetens the flavor and changes the texture. If you love roasted vegetables, you’ll love this salsa.
- 4 medium tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- ¼ small white onion, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray
- Place the tomatillos, jalapeno and garlic on it
- Broil for about 5 minutes or until blotchy and soft and then turn and roast the other side
- Let cool
- Scrape the whole thing into a blender along with the chopped cilantro and blend until smooth
- Add the minced onion and mix thorougly
- Add salt to taste
serve with chips and a beer
Fresh and spicy!