I had a bunch of house guests a little while ago and served this for breakfast (with a poached egg for those who so desired). I had a big batch of mimosas, a pound of bacon, fried crisp and on a platter and these little beauties. It was a hit!
We had all eaten a huge dinner the night before on the deck, so a meal of hash browns, eggs and toast just seemed a little too much for the very warm weather, late morning breakfast. This, it turned out was just the ticket.
It’s hearty and delicious. I’d say serve it for lunch with a salad or soup or as an appetizer with drinks. Altogether a flexible type thing. Even the kiddos liked it (I guess it looked a bit like pizza)…Print
Breakfast Bruschetta? Gruyere & Tomato
- 1 loaf of french bread
- 6 oz of Gruyere, sliced very thinly
- few sprigs of basil, chopped roughly
- 2 extra large or 3 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced very thinly
- Extra virgin olive oil – bring out the good stuff for this!
- Slice the bread in half and brush with olive oil
- Toast in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes for so until just starting to brown
- Remove from oven, top with tomatoes, Gruyere and basil
- Return to the oven for about another 10 minutes or just until cheese melts
- Salt and pepper
- Cut into slices
Five ingredients, 20 minutes. Can’t beat it!