I am somewhat of an egg sandwich authority. I’ve made hundreds of egg salad sandwiches in the fifty some years I’ve been cooking. It was a go to sandwich when my kids were younger because I always had the ingredients on hand and it didn’t take a lot of work or a lot of pots to wash later.
Usually I just hard boil some eggs, add a little mayo, maybe some onion and chopped pickle and call it good. Every once in a while, however, I pull out all the stops and make this version, which if I do say so myself, is the very best egg salad sandwich recipe in the world!Print
The Best Egg Salad Sandwich Ever
- 4 eggs
- 4 T homemade mayo
- 1 t chopped celery
- 2 t chopped sweet pickle
- 1 t chopped capers
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 t fresh lemon juice
- 1 t white wine vinegar
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t country style dijon mustard (the kind with seeds in it)
- 3/4 C olive oil or grapeseed oil
- Hard boil 4 eggs and chop coarsely
- To make the mayo:
- Whisk yolk, mustard, salt, vinegar and lemon juice until blended – about a minute or so
- Slowly add oil a little at a time, whisking constantly until mayo is thick – about 6 or 7 minutes
- Mix chopped eggs with mayo, celery,sweet pickle, capers and parsley
- Serve on toasted bread with salt and pepper and a slice or two of tomato
I like egg salad really chunky on plain white bread or pumpernickel with a diet coke. It’s my version of a comfort lunch. Add a slice or two of tomato and it’s the best egg salad sandwich ever!
It’s also good on fancy crackers as an appetizer. I hope you love it!