I found this recipe for peach and tomato salad on the internet. It was originally from Southern Living so I had to try it because peaches! tomatoes! goat cheese! Southern Living!
It’s as close as you can come to summer in a bowl and I gobbled the entire thing up over the course of one evening with several glasses of rose. Heaven in my kitchen people, I tell you.
I didn’t have any white balsamic so I used a plain old brown one and it was lovely. I was also out of basil, which is incredibly embarrassing to say in July, so I left it off. The package of goat cheese I had was 4 oz instead of 3 so I crumbled the entire thing on the salad and I think it was a happier salad because of it!
I bet it would be better with basil so I left that in even though I left it off! I would highly suggest trying this in it’s original Southern Living version (below) sometime before the tomatoes and peaches are out of season and get mushy and hard respectively!
Tomato and Peach Salad with Goat Cheese
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 T brown sugar
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/8 t salt
- 1 large fresh peach, peeled and diced
- 1 T chopped fresh basil
- 2 lb sliced heirloom tomatoes
- 3 ounces of goat cheese
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- Whisk together balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, brown sugar, olive oil and salt
- Stir in diced peach and fresh basil
- Spoon over sliced tomatoes
- Top with goat cheese and pecans