This fried rice is so fast and easy, it pretty much makes itself! That leaves you time to kick off your shoes and pour a glass of wine. Don’t make the mistake of using the extra time to watch the evening news, it’ll just depress you. Watch Jeopardy instead! Alex is a secret crush of mine.
If you have some day old or older rice in the fridge and a little ham, go buy a leek and have this for dinner. I used to make it for my kiddos when they were little, but now I just make it for me. And I eat the whole thing! Even if it takes a few days. It’s great with a fried egg on top for breakfast, by the way.
- 1 large leek, chopped - white part only
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cold rice
- 2 t soy sauce
- 1 green onion, minced
- ½ cup chopped ham
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- ⅓ cup carrots, already steamed
- 3 t sesame oil
- Steam carrots until soft
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat
- Add leek and onion and saute for a few minutes
- Add ham and garlic, heat through
- Add rice and cook, stirring continuously until rice is crispy in spots and heated through
- Sprinkle with soy sauce and a little bit more of the sesame oil if desired
So very very good!