One of the local restaurants here started serving sweet cream pancakes for breakfast, so of course I had to try them. They were good, but I was pretty sure I could do a little better so started messing around with them. About a hundred pancakes later, I think I’m on to something. Are these a thing? I had never seen them before but in looking on the web, it seems as though people like them and make them all the time! Where have I been?
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ T vanilla
- maple syrup or some other yummy syrup
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together
- In another bowl, mix egg yolks, milk, half and half and vanilla thoroughly
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until it just comes together
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks and fold into batter
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet or a griddle over medium high heat
- Pour in a small amount of batter
- Adjust heat or butter depending on whether the pancakes stick or burn!
- Continue to make and eat pancakes until everyone is happy and content
I had mine with lots of butter and a small amount of maple syrup, but I bet they would be wonderful with blueberry or apple syrup. Next time I make them I’m going to buy a bottle of fruit syrup to go on them.
When I make them for my grand kids, I’m going to sprinkle them with a bit of powdered sugar because why not? What happens at Grandma’s house stays at Grandma’s house!