Baked Rice with Spinach
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 1/4 cups arborio rice
- 1 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 oz fresh spinach, washed and chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in skillet until hot over medium high heat, saute onions about 5 minutes
- Add rice, stir to coat, simmer 2 minutes
- Stir in wine, adding slowly and stirring until wine is absorbed
- Add broth and bring to a boil
- Simmer on low 6 to 8 minutes
- Stir in spinach, cheese, salt and pepper
- Spoon into 13 x 9 baking dish
- Sprinkle a bit more Parmesan on top
- Cover with foil
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes
This recipe comes from a book called “In-Style Parties” that I’ve had for years.
It’s warm and comforting with just enough green to make it taste fresh. Perfect as a side dish for roast chicken or pork.
Typically, I like potatoes instead of rice as a side dish for meat, but this has all the elegance of a rich risotto without the whole standing and stirring forever. Try it next time you’re looking for something different with meat.